Thursday, June 23, 2005

Movie of the Week: Batman Begins

I really must stand and applaud Christopher Nolan.
Who is Christopher Nolan, you might ask? Why, the director of Batman Begins! Batman Begins?!! Isn't that just a terrible attempt to erase moviegoers' minds of anything resembling George Clooney in latex? you say. Well, yes. And no. I actually came out of this movie last night very impressed. And not just meh, that was pretty good - as far as adapted DC Comics go... impressed. This is actually a spectacular film.

Ok, now I'm not going to go all IMDB movie reviewer on you.
[Example: "I got a chance to see 'Batman Begins' just this past Friday evening. I must say that before seeing the film, I felt in my heart this is the 'Batman' film we've been waiting for. Within ten minutes into the movie, I turned to my date and said to her, "This is it! This is the movie!" ]
Firstly, I wouldn't be so foolish as to turn to my date and utter something so transparently nerdy. And secondly, I took two dates to the film last night. But yes, I'll admit, I did get 'utterly transported' in the way Hollywood used to move me as a child, and I'll also admit to grinning girlishly at both of my dates in turn at certain Christian Bale moments.

For those wondering, like I did as I left the cinema, yes, but who IS this Christopher Nolan? He was the director of Memento. An all-star cast certainly helped: Christian Bale, Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, Rutger Hauer, Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson, Christian Bale, Tom Wilkinson, Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later), Christian Bale, Ken Watanabe (The Last Samurai), Christian Bale and Christian Bale.

Verdict: The action is actiony, the plot is filled with plot (unlike some other actiony films) and Katie Holmes does a really good job of making you forget about Tom Cruise for a couple of hours. Katie Holmes also has extremely perky nipples throughout, which may also have aided as a distraction tool. (Strangely enough, it was only the female date and I who noticed this glaringly obvious wardrobe detail.)

Four stars.

Don't Miss: the party scene where Bale fleetingly turns back into Patrick Bateman (minus the chainsaw).

8 Comments:

Blogger Samantha Regione said...

Is it wrong that I found Michael Keaton to be the sexiest Batman ever? Only when he's suited up though, not in his everyday Bruce Wayne attire.

But then, I've had a crush on Darth Vader my whole life too.

*Pauses*

*Reflects*

*Wonders why I've never tried crazy dress-up action sex*

Hmmmmmmm.......

6:29 pm  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

I agree, it's a terrific film. However, I did find the beginning dragged, it was a bit overly earnest... it was as though they were desperately trying to be all 'Worthy.' I persoanlyl could have lived without an hour of people walking around going, 'Fear. Fear, Bruce, what do you FEAR?!' and spouting those silly truisms like, 'Terrible things happen when good people do nothing!' (well, duh)

However, once it got cracking, what a fabulous film! So many great, subtle performances, some very exciting bits, two tasty Poms (mmm, Cillian, mmm, Christian) and guys punching the crap out of each other. Ace.

Not sure about Katie Holmes, though. I understand she has that 'Girl Next Door' charm, but imagine if Scarlett Johansson or Natalie Portman had done the role, it would have been more interesting.

Well, that's more detail than you ever needed. Bye!

11:35 am  
Blogger Freelancer said...

Cynic - Is it Darth Vader? Or James Earl Jones' voice!? Think about THAT one!

Jelly - The same thing you disliked and Jim Schembri Schembri-ified (i.e. - the slow build-up), I LOVED! It was so refreshing for an action film to take the time to develop characters and build a plot. I thought it made Bruce much more human. Better than just "Ooh, I can fly! Now what, apart from landing hot dates with hot chicks, am I gonna do with these wings...?""

And - yeah, I'll pay Scarlett Johansson. (Mmm... Scarlett...) But Natalie Portman might be going a bit far (she faded for me after The Professional.)

(Wa-hey!!!)

11:37 am  
Blogger Samantha Regione said...

Nope, it's definitely Darth. I have a thing for tall, mysterious bad boys. The voice I can take or leave.

I was rather fond of Christian Bale in American Psycho too.

Excuse me whilst I go seek some psychiatric help.

2:01 pm  
Blogger la nadine said...

me loved batman too.

yeah.

3:48 pm  
Blogger Freelancer said...

I sooo just posted on your blog, Lanada. And now it's disappeared.

3:56 pm  
Blogger Freelancer said...

Thought I was going crazy, so I posted again, Nads. It gave me nuthin! Whatsagoinon?!!

4:03 pm  
Blogger la nadine said...

yeah, my blog is having a tantie.

i've got minions working on it as we speak.

and by "minions" i mean daniel boud and jessculture.

i can see your comment though. both times.

5:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home